With this post, I start a new series. I will devote one post (or more) to each state's online digital archive collections useful to genealogists. I do not pretend that my list will all inclusive, I think that might be a physical impossibility since new collections are coming online at a furious rate. Where appropriate, I will comment on the content of the sites.
The first state in the alphabet is Alabama. Here are some of the digital online resources available for that state:
- ADAH Databases (Alabama Department of Archives & History) Contains a Civil War Service Database, an 1867 Voter Registration Database, a World War I Gold Star Database, a Photo Database (doesn't work with FireFox) and many others.
- Alabama Department of Archives and History Many interesting collections including the WPA Alabama Writers Project with a collection of several hundred ex-slave narratives, life histories, short stories and folklore.
- Alabama MapsContains 39,431 maps and 11,406 air photos.
- Alabama Mosaic AlabamaMosaic is a repository of digital materials on Alabama's history, culture, places, and people. Its purpose is to make unique historical treasures from Alabama's archives, libraries, museums, and other repositories electronically accessible to Alabama residents and to students, researchers, and the general public in other states and countries.
- Archives of Wiregrass History and Culture (Troy University - Dothan Campus) A huge collection of online materials including more photographs and some family records.
- Auburn University Digital Library CollectionsMore online collections including the Caroline Dean Wildflower Collection (doesn't have much to do with genealogy but they are pretty).
- Birmingham Public Library Digital Collections Thousands of images and reference materials including another almost 1000 maps.
- Digital Collections (Jacksonville State University Library)Another collection of collections including the Oral History Collection.
- Historic Postcards of AlabamaOne of two such collections, I'll let you find the other in a link above, this one has Historic Postcards of Alabama representing a sample from the Sturdivant Hall Collection held at the William Stanley Hoole Special Collections Library at The University of Alabama.
- University of Alabama Digital CollectionsIncludes the Confederate Imprints Collection of Sheet Music and many other digital collections.
I hope you enjoy browsing these huge collections from Alabama. I think I will not go through the U.S. in strict alphabetical order, it is too confining.