Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, January 21, 2011

Live from the Family History Expo in Arizona

For those of you who aren't here in Mesa, with out beautiful weather, the next two days I will be here at the Mesa Family History Expo. If you go to their website, you can see a list of the classes you will be missing.

The keynote speaker is Lisa Louise Cooke of Genealogy Gems Podcasts. Holly Hansen asked who did not know what a podcast was and there were still a sizable number of people who raised their hands. I am glad they are here at the Expo. I am always interested in listening to Lisa Louise Cooke. Her class on Google Earth last year was the highlight of the Expo. Her introductory keynote speech is extremely interesting on her experience in learning about podcasts.

In case you still don't know, a podcast is like a radio broadcast over the internet. OK, so you are reading a blog, this is in print, a podcast is audio. Podcasts, like Blogs are not that new. There are probably millions of Blogs out there in the world now, and hundreds of thousands of podcasts. You can see some of the many, many podcasts available by using a free program called iTunes from Apple.

The theme of the Expo is Teaching Old Dogs New Tricks. As I go into the presentation room, I notice that I certainly do not stand out in this group. I am old. Overweight. Balding and hauling a roller bag with my computer. How much more can I fit in.

Lisa talks about all the changes that have come and will come with the digitization of the records and the online infrastructure.

More during the day, stay tuned as they say!

No comments:

Post a Comment