Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Genealogy Meme for RootsTech 2012

 Here are the instructions for the RootsTech.org 2012 meme. I guess I would start out with a few additions, but after thinking about it for all of about one second, I put my own suggestions at the end.

If you want to join in the fun and show off your own tech cred, here are the rules for the My Rooted Technology meme:
  • Technology you already use: bold face type
  • Technology you would like to use or learn more about: italicize (color optional)
  • Technology you don’t use, have no interest in using or no longer use: plain type
  • Explain or give opinions in brackets [     ] at the end of each bullet point
  1. I have a tablet computer such as an iPad that I use for genealogy.
  2. I have downloaded one or more apps to a Smart Phone or similar device.
  3. I belong to a genealogy society that uses social media.
  4. I use GEDCOM files and understand the various compatibility issues involved.
  5. I have added metadata to some of my files and digital photos.
  6. I have utilized an API from a genealogy-related application or website.
  7. I have taken a DNA test related to my genealogy research. [I have personally yet to find a use for DNA testing].
  8. I have used the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
  9. I have a Facebook account and use it regularly for genealogy.
  10. I use tech tools to help me cite my sources in genealogy research.
  11. I have developed a genealogy-related app for a Smart Phone or similar device.
  12. I use a genealogy database program (Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, RootsMagic etc.)
  13. I use cloud computer resources to store my genealogy data.
  14. I have made one or more contributions to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
  15. I have attended a genealogy webinar.
  16. I have organized and administered a DNA testing group related to my genealogy.
  17. I use apps involving GPS and Geo-caching for my genealogy research.
  18. I have a Google+ account and use it regularly for genealogy.
  19. I have created and published a family history e-book.
  20. I have create a wiki related to my genealogy research.
  21. Here are my own suggested criteria for tech:

1. I have an iPhone, an iPad, a MacBook Pro and an iMac and I often use them all at the same time.
2.  I use Skype, GoogleTalk, and instant messaging all the time my computer is on which is most of the time I am awake.
3.  I have spent more money on computers than any other item, including my house.
4.  I was personally in San Francisco at the Macintosh intro in 1984.
5.  I helped found the Arizona Macintosh Users Group.
6.  At one time I was a certified Apple technician and an HP certified laser printer tech.
7.  I have been running or helping to run tech related businesses now for thirty years.
8.  When traveling I move from one WiFi hotspot to another.
9. I am writing this My Rooted Technology Meme.

I guess we get to brag a lot if we write our own posts.




No comments:

Post a Comment