If you want to join in the fun and show off your own tech cred, here are the rules for the My Rooted Technology meme:
- Technology you already use: bold face type
- Technology you would like to use or learn more about: italicize (color optional)
- Technology you don’t use, have no interest in using or no longer use: plain type
- Explain or give opinions in brackets [ ] at the end of each bullet point
- I have a tablet computer such as an iPad that I use for genealogy.
- I have downloaded one or more apps to a Smart Phone or similar device.
- I belong to a genealogy society that uses social media.
- I use GEDCOM files and understand the various compatibility issues involved.
- I have added metadata to some of my files and digital photos.
- I have utilized an API from a genealogy-related application or website.
- I have taken a DNA test related to my genealogy research. [I have personally yet to find a use for DNA testing].
- I have used the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- I have a Facebook account and use it regularly for genealogy.
- I use tech tools to help me cite my sources in genealogy research.
- I have developed a genealogy-related app for a Smart Phone or similar device.
- I use a genealogy database program (Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, RootsMagic etc.)
- I use cloud computer resources to store my genealogy data.
- I have made one or more contributions to the FamilySearch Research Wiki.
- I have attended a genealogy webinar.
- I have organized and administered a DNA testing group related to my genealogy.
- I use apps involving GPS and Geo-caching for my genealogy research.
- I have a Google+ account and use it regularly for genealogy.
- I have created and published a family history e-book.
- I have create a wiki related to my genealogy research.
- Here are my own suggested criteria for tech:
1. I have an iPhone, an iPad, a MacBook Pro and an iMac and I often use them all at the same time.
2. I use Skype, GoogleTalk, and instant messaging all the time my computer is on which is most of the time I am awake.
3. I have spent more money on computers than any other item, including my house.
4. I was personally in San Francisco at the Macintosh intro in 1984.
5. I helped found the Arizona Macintosh Users Group.
6. At one time I was a certified Apple technician and an HP certified laser printer tech.
7. I have been running or helping to run tech related businesses now for thirty years.
8. When traveling I move from one WiFi hotspot to another.
9. I am writing this My Rooted Technology Meme.
I guess we get to brag a lot if we write our own posts.