Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Right man at the right time

Every so often in life there is someone who does an extraordinary job and whose contributions go far beyond anyone's expectations. Jay Verkler's ten year tenure at FamilySearch has produced just such an experience for the genealogical world. Unlike the more visible media world, Jay Verkler's name is not a household word, but his influence has permanently changed the practice of genealogy for the better and his influence will be felt for years to come.

One thing blogging about genealogy has done for me is to allow me the opportunity to have a small glimpse into the rapidly changing genealogical world. Because of my interest in genealogy, I had a fair understanding of genealogical resources but little understanding of the greater issues in the genealogy world. Blogging has given me a greater perspective and because of that perspective, I am in a position to appreciate Jay Verkler's contribution. Because of what he did, the pursuit of family history will never be the same, in a very good way.

Thanks Jay, in my small way I hope you understand how much those of us who know some of what you did, appreciate your contribution and sacrifice. As I would say, Que le vaya bien.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your comments about Jay Verkler. Does anyone know what his future plans are now that Dennis Brimhall is taking over the reins at FamilySearch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know him but I was thoroughly impresses with his keynote address on Thursday morning at RootsTech. He's amazing and so are the changes and improvements he's helped happen at FamilySearch. My thanks to him, too.

    ReplyDelete