Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Friday, February 3, 2012

RootsTech Day One Restrospective

Forty years ago or so I lived in Salt Lake. Some of the changes here are dramatic, such as freeways, high rise buildings, the decline of much of the downtown area into gentile shabbiness, the reconstruction of the heart of the city and many other changes. But one thing has not changed, the weather reports are seldom accurate. I have always felt like maybe those predicting the weather should walk outside occasionally. While there is a huge snow storm in Denver, the snow predicted for Salt Lake never materialized and all we had was brief rain shower.

RootsTech is an unqualified success if you judge by the first day's experience. The day flew by because almost every minute I had was programmed. I did get a few minutes to present at the FamilySearch TechTips station. It is located right by the main entry to the Exhibit Floor and is extremely busy. I enjoyed interviewing four of the FamilySearch's top executives and had a long and productive discussion with David Rencher, the chief Genealogical Officer. I also had a really interesting discussion with Fred Moss, legal counsel to the Federation of Genealogical Societies about the issues with the SSDI. Much more about that later, perhaps today.

Running off to a breakfast meeting with the FamilySearch Wiki folks. I don't know if anyone will be there.


1 comment: