Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Email Struggles

For some time now, I have been using Gmail as my email provider. A couple of months ago, one of my email addresses just stopped working. I kept getting the same error message saying that my password was wrong, no matter what I entered into the boxes. I was also using Microsoft Outlook as my primary email program on my computer. Since that one email address no longer worked, I decided to see if I could figure out why and spent a lot of time with different email programs. I used Thunderbird, Apple's Mail and Sparrow to try to get around the problem.

Thunderbird was working well until last night, when my primary email address, that I have on literally hundreds of registrations and forms, stopped working. Strangely, it kept working on my iPhone, leading me to believe, ultimately, that the problem did not lie with Google. As an alternative, I had already signed up for Yahoo mail and inexplicably that program seemed to work.

OK, so here was the situation.
My regular and highly used email address, genealogyarizona@gmail.com, stopped working except on my iPhone. None of the three programs, Thunderbird, Mail or Sparrow will connect with the Gmail server for that account. I have spent about two hours trying to come up with a solution and nothing I do seems to make any difference at all.

So, if  you send me an email message for the time being, do not assume I have received it.

2 comments:

  1. Does it not work on any of your computers? That is strange that it will work on your iPhone and nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, please keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete