Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Update for 5 June 2012 on 1940 U.S. Census Project

Here are the statistics for the U.S. Census project to 5 June 2012:
  • 77,629,066 names have been indexed and arbitrated.
  • 18 states have published searchable indexes on These states include Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, and Wyoming.  
  • 5 additional states are 100% indexed, arbitrated and in the final stage of preparation for posting. 
  • 9 additional states that are 90% or more complete. To see the status of each state visit the 1940 US Census state-by-state progress map on the FamilySearch website.
  • 126,716 indexers have signed up to index the 1940 US Census
It is interesting to me that there are groups that I am acquainted with that are just now considering being involved in indexing. I have offered to help get them involved and they are in the "we'll call you when we are ready" mode. I am not holding my breath. I hope some or all of the enthusiasm for the 1940 U.S. Census carries over to some of the other valuable collections that need to be indexed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment