Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Merry Month of May

In preparation for a series of classes I am teaching in May at the Mesa FamilySearch Library, I have been re-reading and studying Val D. Greenwood's book.

Greenwood, Val D. The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy. Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Pub. Co, 2000.

In addition, I have been referring to The Source.

Szucs, Loretto Dennis, and Sandra Hargreaves Luebking. The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy. Provo, UT: Ancestry, 2006.

The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy has been completely incorporated into Ancestry.com's online Wiki, word for word.  The Ancestry.com Wiki is a free part of the Ancestry.com websites, so it is completely searchable and available anytime I am sitting at my computer. It is also largely ignored by the greater genealogical community. 

The May schedule isn't up on the Mesa FamilySearch Library website yet, but soon will be. This week,  the last week of April, 2013, I have several classes and a Webinar on 24 April, 2013 entitled Using the FamilySearch Wiki. You can watch the webinar, if you like, at 7:00 pm Arizona time, which is the same right now as Pacific Time by clicking on the following link:  


May starts off with another Webinar, "Introduction of Online Genealogical Resources" on May 1, 2013 again at 7:00 pm Arizona Time (Pacific Time) with this URL: 

http://meet84539682.adobeconnect.com/online/

You might want to check the website for any updates in the links or whatever. 

During the month of May, beginning on that first day, I will be teaching a total of 40 classes, including the research classes I mentioned above. I hope I don't wear out my welcome at the Mesa FamilySearch Library! You can check the website to find out when and where the classes will be taught or you can just show up on any weekday except Tuesdays (for some reason?) and come to a class starting around 10:00 or 11:00 am. 

Now, you know part of the motivation for re-reading the Greenwood book and studying The Source.

One of the people in one of my classes recently asked a question: Why don't you write about the things you teach in your classes? That question started me thinking since that is what I thought I was doing. But I realized that writing a blog and teaching a class are for me two different venues. Since the two upcoming webinars will be recorded and online as webcasts on the Mesa FamilySearch Library website, there is growing number of video offerings recording my classes and thoughts. You can also see the videos on the RootsTech.org website, where my class on Maps and my Keynote address are online. 

Let me say this, I can't stand to watch myself talk or teach. Perhaps it would be different if I were not so well acquainted with myself. :-)


1 comment:

  1. Question: Is there a lot of difference between the online version of The Source and the last hard cover edition? I ask because we do lots of RVing and often have no access to the internet, so I can only read my hard-cover edition. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete