Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Genealogy around the world

I guess it must be time for me to expand my views of the genealogy world again. Here is a list of some genealogy websites that I don't believe I have ever mentioned before. Of course, some of them are in languages you probably don't speak, but nonetheless, you may have ancestors from that country.
  • Deutschen Genealogieserver - When I realized, once again, the high percentage of Americans who have German ancestors, I thought it would be a good idea to list some German genealogy websites. This is a German Portal page or a page with links to related websites including a digital library of German genealogy books.
  • http://www.ancestry.de/ -- This is Ancestry in German
  • Deutsche Auswanderer-Datenbank -- German Emigrants Database
  • Грузинские имена - фамилии Генеалогия - Биографии -- Find your ancestors in Georgia (not the state) This is a site dedicated to Georgian nobility. 
  • Jewish Records Indexing - Poland -- Launched in early 1995, JRI - Poland is the largest fully searchable database of indexes to Jewish vital records accessible online. 5 million records from more than 550 Polish towns are now indexed. More are being added every few months.
  • LitvakSIG, Lithuanian-Jewish Special Interest Group -- LitvakSIG is the primary internet resource for Lithuanian-Jewish ("Litvak") genealogy research worldwide. "SIG" stands for "Special Interest Group."
  • Hindu genealogy registers at Haridwar -- Genealogy registers, of Hindu families, maintained by Brahmin Pandits (Priests) or ‘Pandas’, who double up as professional genealogists, at Haridwar, has been a subject of study for many years now. In several cases, these voluminous records or Vahis (Bahi), have also been used in settling legal cases regarding inheritance or property disputes, as these records are held sacrosanct both by the pilgrims and the Pandas themselves, and in many places these records trace family history, for over twenty prior generations, stretching across many centuries.
  • Rötter -- major portal for Swedish genealogy and genealogical societies united in The Swedish Federation of Genealogical Societies (Sveriges Släktforskarförbund).
  • Српско Родословно Друштво -- Serbian Genealogy Society
I realized after I compiled this list from the Web, I was probably starting to duplicate the work already done by Cyndi Howells to some extent on Cyndi's List. She has been gathering this type of link and categorizing the listings for years. She has compiled a list, according to today's number, of 329,424 website links. She has 1011 German links alone. But in checking, I don't find some of these websites on her list. I guess the world is getting more complicated all the time. 

3 comments:

  1. Did you know my compilation?!
    http://www.kracke.org/2013/11/a-lot-to-discover-in-genealogy-germany/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't search for blogs. But I do now. I am also subscribed to your blog also. Thanks for letting me know about this site.

      Delete
    2. Or better: Nein, ich habe nicht nach Blogs suchen. Aber ich jetzt tun. Ich bin auch zu Ihrem Blog auch abonniert. Danke, dass ich von dieser Seite kennen.

      Delete